Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail for imac

Why ? Apple mail started showing hundreds of made up sent emails. Unable to read/delete as they just return and leave on their own.

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 2:25 PM

Well as often happens in life online these days. This concern slipped from my mind and .....wait for it. Fixed itself. I did nothing other than fiddle at the mess of self generated emails for a few more days and then forgot about it. I realized the other day that it just rectified it's self. So all is well.

The only thing that I did before the issue that I haven't mentioned was that I had gone into my providers web mail online and deleted many emails in various "mailboxes" trash/sent etc. to cut down on my data storage use.

All is well now for whatever reason.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 2:25 PM in response to mario49

Well as often happens in life online these days. This concern slipped from my mind and .....wait for it. Fixed itself. I did nothing other than fiddle at the mess of self generated emails for a few more days and then forgot about it. I realized the other day that it just rectified it's self. So all is well.

The only thing that I did before the issue that I haven't mentioned was that I had gone into my providers web mail online and deleted many emails in various "mailboxes" trash/sent etc. to cut down on my data storage use.

All is well now for whatever reason.

Jan 1, 2023 12:35 PM in response to bseabob

Hello bseabob,

We'd like to clarify some information, so we can assist.

To confirm, are you saying that messages you didn't send are appearing in the Sent folder in Mail on your Mac, or are sent emails appearing in your Inbox unexpectedly? What happens when you try to delete those emails? Do you receive an error message of some kind?

The above information will help us plan how to proceed.

This link has some information on managing and deleting emails in Mail, which may help: Delete emails in Mail on Mac

Delete emails in Mail on Mac

You can delete email messages that you don’t need anymore to help keep your mailboxes manageable, and to free up storage space on your Mac or on the mail server. Deleted messages are available until they’re permanently erased.

Delete an email

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a message.
2. Click the Delete button  in the Mail toolbar or move the pointer over the message’s header, then click the Delete button that appears.

Tip: To prevent the next message in the list from being automatically selected (and marked as read), press and hold the Option key when you delete the message.

If you set the “Move discarded messages” option to Trash in Viewing settings in Mail, you can delete a message by swiping left on the trackpad with two fingers or by moving the pointer over a Mail notification, then clicking Delete (or the Trash icon).

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2023 11:05 AM in response to Brittany1416

So. I open my mail and there are what appears to be " Marked Unread with similar time stamp emails" in my Sent Mail. Can not open, can not highlite and If I drag the slider to the bottom my real sent email are there. I can then scroll them and go to the latest of my sent emails. The mystery looking emails all have disappeared. BUT without me doing anything further at this point they propagate themselves again but with the exact present time. Unable to open and so it continues. I have tried a lot of the usual things suggested in the forum and other places but zip results. I am hesitating going further like removal and replacement.

My mail program is working properly on my ipad and phone. Web mail program is operating and displaying fine.

thks

Apple Mail for imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.