Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac is suddenly stuck in boot loop

Hello all 1st time here. I have an Imac late 2015 with the intel processor. I came home and it was stuck on the apple screen with the progress bar at about 60%. It stayed like this for over an hour then started the process over again. I turned off the computer and booted into recovery mode and tried to repair the disc in utility. It ran for about 30-45 minutes then stated it had failed to fix the problem. I then tried to "Restore from Time Machine" which also did not work. I then tried to "Reinstall macOS Monterey". This started out saying it would take 2hrs 18min then the time started to increase over time. After about 30 minutes the install time had climbed to over 139hrs. Please help. I have information that I need on that computer, especially from the notepad. I took a few screenshots of the process.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 7:21 PM

Thanks! The next step is to erase your disk, reinstall macOS, and restore from Time Machine. But first, please go to Disk Utility, and select "View" > "Show All Devices". Select each device (or entry shown), and take a photo of it and upload them all here. 

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 30, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

I do have a back up of the pix and some documents but not the information that is currently in the notepad. I thought I had the time machine backup setting set to automatic but at this point I am not 100% sure. When I tried the time machine backup method there was a whole list of previous points to restart from. After trying the first time and failing going back in to try again I only have 1 date for an option now as opposed to the whole list. I did not sync data to the cloud.

Imac is suddenly stuck in boot loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.