Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting Apple iMac OS

When I restart my Apple iMacOS (Ventura13.1) how can I select only those few programs I wish to load up? At present when I restart all of the programs load up and so I have a general heap each time I sort my computer out!

I'll be really grateful for your help.

Tony Murray

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:45 AM

When you choose Shutdown or Restart, a dialog box opens where you click Shutdown or Restart. There is a checkbox there that says "Reopen windows when logging back in." Deselect that checkbox.

You Quit an app by choosing "Quit <appname>" from the Application menu or use Cmd-Q while the app is frontmost.

If you have a set of applications you always want to start up when you log in, add those apps to the Login Items in System Settings > General > Login Items. Then, deselect the checkbox in the Shutdown/Restart dialog.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 6:45 AM in response to Anthony William Murray

When you choose Shutdown or Restart, a dialog box opens where you click Shutdown or Restart. There is a checkbox there that says "Reopen windows when logging back in." Deselect that checkbox.

You Quit an app by choosing "Quit <appname>" from the Application menu or use Cmd-Q while the app is frontmost.

If you have a set of applications you always want to start up when you log in, add those apps to the Login Items in System Settings > General > Login Items. Then, deselect the checkbox in the Shutdown/Restart dialog.

Restarting Apple iMac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.