Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pseudo-damaged files & programs after restore Monterey

Monterey 12.6.2, MacBook Pro 15,2 with touchbar.

All these troubles began after I booted to recovery, erased my internal SSD, reinstalled a newly downloaded copy of Monterey 12.6.2, booted up, and migrated all my files using Migration Utility (method recommended by prompts within Recovery).

I now have hundreds of "damaged" files that are not really damaged. For example, mp4 files created with Handbrake that formerly played in VLC when I double clicked them (the files were on an external GUID/HFS+ volume) now pop-up a damaged error window with a default invitation to delete the file.

This is so wrong and amazing. The file is not damaged. All it wants is to be opened a different way. (!)

After reading another thread here, I deleted the VLC program. I downloaded a new version after emptying trash. The .dmg file containing the new VLC gives the SAME type of error message as the mp4s.

I "restored" VLC from a Time Machine backup.

If I launch the restored VLC, and drag the allegedly damaged file into its main window it plays just fine.

So my computer is lying to me, and asking me to throw away good files. Also, it is refusing to open .zip files, an activity not related a manner I can understand to refusing to open .mp4 files, each time defaulting to a proposed action of deleting the files.

This is reminescent of 1990s adventures with operating systems from Apple's then main competitor.

Suggestions? Please don't refer me to help for VLC. This is a MacOS problem. Recall the .dmg file.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 10:53 AM

The problem of undamaged mp4 files being identified as "damaged" was not resolved by a new installation (without erasing data & settings) of Monterey 12.6.2

The problem of the .dmg file being (probably) wrongly identified was also not resolved, but after it was discarded, a newly downloaded one opened uneventfully.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 10:53 AM in response to autnagrag

The problem of undamaged mp4 files being identified as "damaged" was not resolved by a new installation (without erasing data & settings) of Monterey 12.6.2

The problem of the .dmg file being (probably) wrongly identified was also not resolved, but after it was discarded, a newly downloaded one opened uneventfully.

pseudo-damaged files & programs after restore Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.