Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “id=6571367.39712395” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36) on M1 Mac Big Sur 11.4 When I drag a file / folder out of the Trash it says: The Finder can’t complete the operation becaus

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “id=6571367.39712395” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36) on M1 Mac Big Sur 11.4

When I drag a file / folder out of the Trash it says:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “id=6571367.39712395” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

I encountered it twice. The first time it happened I checked the Volume for errors in Recovery mode and it didn't solve the problem.

The second time I had this problem I managed to solve this problem the following way:

When you copy the file and paste in to the Terminal.app to find out the path, the real folder where this file should be is empty. Thus, it seems that the symlink inside Trash can or folder location is non-existent one. Like in my case:

/Users/vm/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.Photos.PhotosFileProvider/File Provider Storage/photospicker/.Trash

To solve this problem all you need to do is to remove this path:

https://youtu.be/h2XB-8aCuGo

Have you ever experienced this type of issue and how you solved it (if you solved)?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:31 AM

I was able to fix this by finding the path to the imposter trash folder and deleting it.

Similar questions

1 reply

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “id=6571367.39712395” can’t be read or written. (Error code -36) on M1 Mac Big Sur 11.4 When I drag a file / folder out of the Trash it says: The Finder can’t complete the operation becaus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.