Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Libraries Won't Empty Out Of Trash

In the past month or so, when I delete Final Cut Pro X libraries (or folders containing FCPX libraries), and go to empty my trash, the trash will delete most of the folder/library contents, but then throw errors for particular folders.

"The operation can’t be completed because the item “mylibrary.fcpbundle” is in use."

If I go into the package contents in the Trash, I find that the culprit folders are usually "Media > Render Files > Peaks Data", "Media > Render Files > Thumbnail Data", or "Media > Original Media"

If I try to delete one of these folders, I get a similar error:

"The operation can’t be completed because the item “Original Media” is in use."

If I want to finish emptying the trash, I have to dive all the way down and delete individual files or aliases. It's really irritating to not be able to just empty the trash and be on my way.

I've tried rebooting the computer, rebooting in recover mode to perform first aid on the drive, I've tried reinstalling and updating FCPX, nothing seems to help.

I'm on a M1 Max MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2021, Ventura 13.1(22C65)

Final Cut Pro X Version 10.6.5

Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 2:25 PM

Turns out the problem was only from libraries that had been copied over from an external hard drive formatted in exFAT. At least I think (?)

I realized the only libraries throwing my issues were ones I had previously worked on from that hard drive.

My theory is that somehow libraries weren't closing properly on the exFAT drive, and the issues introduced into the libraries remained after copying the libraries and footage over to my Mac (even when the hard drive wasn't connected)

Either way, I cleared the hard drive, re-formatted it as Mac OS Extended, put the libraries back on, and now I'm having no issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 2:25 PM in response to danieldiethrich

Turns out the problem was only from libraries that had been copied over from an external hard drive formatted in exFAT. At least I think (?)

I realized the only libraries throwing my issues were ones I had previously worked on from that hard drive.

My theory is that somehow libraries weren't closing properly on the exFAT drive, and the issues introduced into the libraries remained after copying the libraries and footage over to my Mac (even when the hard drive wasn't connected)

Either way, I cleared the hard drive, re-formatted it as Mac OS Extended, put the libraries back on, and now I'm having no issues.

Final Cut Libraries Won't Empty Out Of Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.