Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcpx hangs on opening library

Final Cut Pro X hangs on opening a particular library, including a backup of same library. At first it just hung on trying to delete unused cache, had to force quit, several times, now it just hangs on opening. Other libraries open fine and fast. This is a large and complex library with many projects.

am wary to delete render files directly from the cache through finder, do not want to corrupt the project... but space may be an issue, where I am down to about 4% of disk space due to large cache of render files.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 21, 2020 11:11 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 22, 2020 6:36 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks. Could not see any warnings (and not yet using any fonts in the project), and I do not have any 3d party audio plug ins.

I removed currentversions.floexolibrary and settings.plist and tried to open project.

It opened with the window "Validating... ". I left it, and voila, the project opened over an hour later.

However I just created a second library to copy some projects into, as the first library seems unwieldy. Had success, but when I went back to first project to copy a project, it hangs on opening an event (spinning wheel).

The project seems to be big. I have 32 gb RAM, but I notice in activity monitor that it is using 24.07 gb of memory, cached files 6.3 gb, swap used 7.1 gb, total 38.97 gb (that might not add up exactly as the numbers continue to change).

The memory used is broken down to app memory 15gb, wired memory 2.8 gb, compressed 6.4 gb

The actual library size is 204 gb, though the majority of assets are outside the library (several TB). I have freed up other files on the SSD, so over 10% is free. Not ideal, but it should keep it working until I can manage cache files and get rid of unused ones. But still having this hang problem, the project seems very fragile, doing anything takes terribly long or causes a hang.

not sure if sheer scale is bogging down system?

Jan 26, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. I copied an important project from the onerous library to a new library... took eons, but it happened ok. I then deleted the original render cache on MBP SSD, and created a new one on a large attached drive. i was worried i would get a performance hit, but so far ok. And I now have 600 GB free space on my SSD 😊 . The large library opens better, though projects can still take time to load... it in interesting that FCP states it is busy loading this project or another when I have not clicked on that project... as though it is refreshing thumbnails in the background... not sure. But the new library I created and copied a very large project into, is very nimble, so I am up and running again, with lots of room to spare on SSD. So I guess that is the ticket... avoid burdening libraries with too many complex projects (I had dozens and dozens if not hundreds, with likely hundreds of compound clips if not more...) and keep space free for memory and virtual memory.

Thanks Tom and everyone else for the thoughts.

fcpx hangs on opening library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.