Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "filename" can't be found error message when trying to open a file I have moved on the same volume of shared storage

The problem doesn't happen on older versions of MacOS. It seems to have started on recent upgrades to Monterey and Ventura. Didn't experience the problem before.

• Accessing the files with SMB on shared storage (NAS)
  • I move files from one folder to another on the same volume
  • Double Click on a file in the folder where the files were moved
  • I get a "filename.extension" can't be found message. ("the selected filename")
  • If I access the same file from another computer with the same user rights it opens fine
  • If I use Commander One as the file manager it opens fine
  • If I open terminal and run open filename.extension it opens fine
  • If I put a copy of the file that was moved into the previous directory it opens fine

The conclusion is that the old file location is being cached and not updated when I double-click in the new "moved" file directory. This is confirmed by opening an Excel file and when I select Save As it shows the old directory (runs because I also had a copy there)

I have tried the following

• changing nsbm.conf options
  • defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE
  • Exclude Spotlight indexing on the netword drive
  • Extensive Google and ChatGPT searching

Any ideas to fix? Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 2, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2023 12:54 PM

If this is dealing with file sharing, then it is a known issue with a recent macOS update. There are multiple threads on this forum about SMB issues.

Similar questions

3 replies

The "filename" can't be found error message when trying to open a file I have moved on the same volume of shared storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.