Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I just back up "Numbers" to my hard drive? I don't want it in the cloud.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:50 PM

Sure can. I do not use iCloud for any document storage and I do not use iCloud for saving Numbers documents. All documents are saved on my own drives. But if you use iCloud for Desktop & Documents folders and save it to either one you will still be putting it the cloud. That can be changed in System Preferences->Internet Accounts->iCloud->iCloud Drive). I am not that versed in the use of iCloud Drive other than how to turn nearly everything off so my documents don't get synced to the cloud (which it defaults to unless you turn things off).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2022 6:50 PM in response to LostinspaceandPuzzled

Sure can. I do not use iCloud for any document storage and I do not use iCloud for saving Numbers documents. All documents are saved on my own drives. But if you use iCloud for Desktop & Documents folders and save it to either one you will still be putting it the cloud. That can be changed in System Preferences->Internet Accounts->iCloud->iCloud Drive). I am not that versed in the use of iCloud Drive other than how to turn nearly everything off so my documents don't get synced to the cloud (which it defaults to unless you turn things off).

Dec 31, 2022 8:34 PM in response to Badunit

Thank you for your response. Apple gives you a lot of options, but they’re quite ambiguous and seemingly seemingly redundant. I can only find the things to delete on my phone. I don’t see them on my Mac, but I assume it doesn’t matter which way I go since it’s all the cloud. Then there are other levers that say something about “notes” and something about them all being deleted on all devices, if I turn it off. So that’s not what I’m going for and I don’t know if it’s even necessary. My back up is full. I would like to delete it and see if it would back up again but I’m really not sure what it’s going back up or if it will be doing what I want. It doesn’t seem to erase the last back up to replace it with the next one and it spends a lot of time telling you you don’t have any space and that you should buy more back up space. I’ll have to go back to my Mac and back in “numbers” to see if I can save anything. It’s a whole lot of test driving everything and hoping you don’t destroy something you want to keep I would think Apple could be much more straightforward and transparent. I think they know what people want to do but they don’t approach it from that point of you. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.