Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This email address is not available - iCloud Custom Email Domain

Hi community people,

I setup my Custom Email Domain, and when creating email addresses under my Apple ID I inadvertently created an email address for another family member. Initially I had not realised that others I invited to my domain needed to create emails under their own Apple ID on their devices.

I immediately deleted the email address under my own Apple ID and several days later tried to setup the email address on my family member's device, however I get a dialogue that says "This email address is not available. Please try again with a different address".

I have verified that the email address is definitely not in use and emails sent to the address result in a delivery failure.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so is there a solution to the issue?

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 11:31 AM

I have this exact problem. After speaking to an escalated resource on the Apple Support team, it was confirmed that email addresses can only exist once (similar to an Apple ID). Once an email address is deleted, it can never be used again in iCloud. Pretty lame considering we own these domains, so we should have full control over when emails are deleted and reused. Because of this I am going to have to migrate my email domain away from Apple to another service. I suggest everyone submits feedback on this to Feedback@apple.com

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 11:31 AM in response to Opieb_inOZ

I have this exact problem. After speaking to an escalated resource on the Apple Support team, it was confirmed that email addresses can only exist once (similar to an Apple ID). Once an email address is deleted, it can never be used again in iCloud. Pretty lame considering we own these domains, so we should have full control over when emails are deleted and reused. Because of this I am going to have to migrate my email domain away from Apple to another service. I suggest everyone submits feedback on this to Feedback@apple.com

Jan 7, 2023 9:03 AM in response to Opieb_inOZ

Hi Opieb_inOZ,

same problem here.

After creating two of my families members email addresses in MY account (only for test purposes), these email addresses can no longer be added in my family members accounts as their own ones.

Message says “This email address is not available. …”

I have checked and deleted all locations where the addresses have been mentioned.

No more ideas by now - seems that since the address have been used in my account, they are blocked in all other (families) accounts although deleted in my account.

hope this can be solved…!

Mar 10, 2023 6:45 AM in response to Opieb_inOZ

Had this issue as well for 18 months, first getting a response to wait a year, then 30 days, still not working. Now getting the "it's forever lost" answer.

Which is ridiculous. They need to change this policy. We have this domain for a family website and all familiy members have their name@domain email address except for me, as my brother added my name as a test 18 months ago and immediately deleted it.

This email address is not available - iCloud Custom Email Domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.