Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is gibberish being typed into Automator script?

I have had an ongoing problem with Automator in which editing a script is impossible because an autocomplete function it typing nonsense characters and words as I edit. I tried to take a screen recording of it as it was happening but yet another error occurred where now my screen is stuck on a dimmer mode. I am trying not to reboot because of many open programming projects. Has anyone ever heard of these problems?

I don't and never had any autocomplete enabled, it doesn't work well with programming. I searched the MacOS setting but found none that would cause this random typing.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 7:24 AM

Macintosh HD volume erased, clean install of Ventura from USB drive completed, no apps/documents added - just Ventura...and...it's just the same :(

I tried to type in "Well let's see what happens now" and...

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 26, 2023 11:58 AM in response to brympton

Two reasons this won't happen.

1. Automator actions are installed in the System partition where they can be found by Automator and the System Partition is write-protected and code-signed.
  2. Automator Actions are created and compiled via Xcode using Swift or Objective-C and the source code for a Run Shell Script (for instance) is internal to Apple.

Jan 26, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Gnarlodious

I think I am experiencing the same problem although to be specific this only occurs in automator with the Run AppleScript or Run JavaScript library items. In a new or populated script I start typing and after a few words get 3 periods automatically entered and/or the cursor jumps to a different location. I have done a full reinstall of Ventura, tried a different keyboard, uncheked all keyboard autocompletes and nothing seems to fix it. Interestingly I don't have this issue with Run Shell Script or when using Script Editor. I should add that I don't have this issue in any other software such as Notepad, Notes Pages etc. I assume there is an issue with the Unix executables for Run AppleScript and Run JavaScript but replacing these is beyond my capabilities. This is on a 2018 Mac Mini.

Jan 26, 2023 10:22 AM in response to Gnarlodious

I always disable Spelling > Check spelling while entering content in the Automator Run ____ script actions. I have also disabled Mac Grammarly in Automator, Script Editor, or my favorite programmer's editor from tormenting me with suggestions.

However, I have never received gibberish within Automator unless I forgot to set the keyboard language back to U.S. English (or your local language) from for instance, Unicode Hex Input.

Jan 26, 2023 11:43 AM in response to Gnarlodious

Same here and in System Settings > Keyboard. My keybboard is set to British English though.

What would be really helpful is if someone with the appropriates skillset could create a couple of replacement automator "actions" for example "Run Applescript Patched". Then we could import into automator and test my theory that the unix executables in Macintosh HD > System > Library > Automator are the issue.

Jan 26, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Gnarlodious

If there was a gibberish bug in Run AppleScript/Shell Script as you have described, I have never encountered it in the years of writing Automator solutions including on macOS Ventura 13.2. There may another collateral contributing source, but I don't believe it is in Automator itself based on my experience with it, and in particular, these two actions.

What third-party software was installed prior to this issue?

Jan 26, 2023 12:01 PM in response to brympton

I don't know but ever since upgrading to Ventura I have not been able to edit any workflows. Yes I can edit strings inside a script but actual scripting text is unpredictable. And cmd-z doesn't work so when the gibberish happens I have to cancel the edit and lose any unsaved work. Also the insertion point jumps back any number of characters, so it may be related to text stream control characters.

I'm also having quite a prob with the zsh history file, which seems to change its file encoding randomly and sometimes refuses to open in TextEdit because it is an unrecognized encoding. I wonder if the two probs are related?

Actually it just occurred to me that I have Hebrew text in both documents, which is a right-to-left language. Hmmm...

Why is gibberish being typed into Automator script?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.