Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ask to buy notifications not popping up for parent in family group

ask to buy notifications not coming up on my iPhone for family members. Already tried hard restart each device, updated IOS to 16.2 on both devices. Toggled ‘ask to buy’ for all family members and I’m fresh out of ideas. When I turn off ask to buy for a family member that family member can purchase from App Store without permission. Stumped why the notifications have ceased. Anyone have any ideas?

iPhone 12

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 3:18 PM

Thanks R4FTY!

tried all of those and none worked.

I think I may have figured it out.

turned off approval for purchases for one test purchase (to see what would happen) then I got is message about invalid payment method.

realised that my credit card had expired under ‘payment and delivery’ on my device. Once I updated the payment details and waiting about an hour - for the backend of the systems to synch up, the notifications started working.

peculiar that the items my children were trying to purchase were free, yet because there was no payment method, the notifications wouldn’t be dispatched.

maybe worth adding this step in the troubleshooting guide also about checking that there is a valid payment method.

thanks regardless for your time!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 3:18 PM in response to R4FTY

Thanks R4FTY!

tried all of those and none worked.

I think I may have figured it out.

turned off approval for purchases for one test purchase (to see what would happen) then I got is message about invalid payment method.

realised that my credit card had expired under ‘payment and delivery’ on my device. Once I updated the payment details and waiting about an hour - for the backend of the systems to synch up, the notifications started working.

peculiar that the items my children were trying to purchase were free, yet because there was no payment method, the notifications wouldn’t be dispatched.

maybe worth adding this step in the troubleshooting guide also about checking that there is a valid payment method.

thanks regardless for your time!

Jan 1, 2023 5:34 AM in response to Mcos0544

I'm sorry to hear that you are not receiving "Ask to Buy" notifications on your iPhone. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check your settings: Make sure that "Ask to Buy" is enabled for your family members in the "Family Sharing" settings on your iPhone. You can find these settings by going to "Settings" > "Your Name" > "Family Sharing" > "Ask to Buy".
  2. Check your notification settings: Make sure that you have enabled notifications for the App Store. You can do this by going to "Settings" > "Notifications" > "App Store" and making sure that the toggle next to "Allow Notifications" is turned on.
  3. Restart your iPhone: Try restarting your iPhone to see if that resolves the issue. To restart your iPhone, press and hold the "Power" button until the "Slide to Power Off" slider appears. Then, slide the slider to power off your device. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the "Power" button again to turn it back on.
  4. Check for updates: Make sure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. You can check for updates by going to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update".
  5. Check your internet connection: Make sure that your iPhone is connected to a stable internet connection. If you are connected to a public WiFi network or a cellular network with a weak signal, you may have trouble receiving notifications.

I hope these steps are helpful in troubleshooting and resolving the issue you are experiencing with "Ask to Buy" notifications. If you continue to have problems, it may be best to contact Apple support for further assistance.

Ask to buy notifications not popping up for parent in family group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.