Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Birthdays in Contacts app on Mac one day off

Hi, I am having an issue which almost drives me crazy

I am synching contacts via an Exchange server, and all works well, i.e. new contacts as well as changes are being synched between all devices very quickly. Also, the birthday attribute is the same everywhere:

• Exchange Server (via browser)
  • Outlook
  • Contacts app on iPhone
  • Contacts app on iPad

EXCEPT in the Contacts App on the MacBook, there every birthday is one day too late (e.g. 1st of Jan 2023 instead of 31st of Dec 2022). The timezone settings however are the same and correct everywhere. What might be the problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 5:06 AM

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot apply that procedure, as I am using Outlook on Parallels, and that cannot be started in safe mode.

However, I think I found the root cause of the problem, see this discussion here Birthdays show one day late in MacOS, cor… - Apple Community

Microsoft and Apple have a different way of handling birthday information, one considers the timezone information, the other not. So unless one of them fixes their API (I guess it has to be Apple), the problem persists. :-(

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 5:06 AM in response to MVegas21

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot apply that procedure, as I am using Outlook on Parallels, and that cannot be started in safe mode.

However, I think I found the root cause of the problem, see this discussion here Birthdays show one day late in MacOS, cor… - Apple Community

Microsoft and Apple have a different way of handling birthday information, one considers the timezone information, the other not. So unless one of them fixes their API (I guess it has to be Apple), the problem persists. :-(

Jan 2, 2023 10:24 AM in response to Gaston__63

Hi Gaston__63,

Try testing your Mac in safe mode to see if birthdays are still one day late. Safe mode will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down the cause of the issue. This article will walk you through the steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window.

Best regards.

Birthdays in Contacts app on Mac one day off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.