Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilled liquid on closed M1 MacBook Pro

Hi guys!

A friend spilled about 100ml liquid on my closed M1 MacBook Pro yesterday.

It landed below the apple logo and around on the table.

We quickly picked up the computer and tried it off. I could see small drops of liquid in the air vents below the screen.

I took a small cotton swab and sucked up the liquid in the vents.

It turns on and works just fine! however, I worry about future problems and would like to deal with them asap (insurance).

how can I make sure no damage was made?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 8:45 AM

Apple-Authorized Service Providers are free to charge an "evaluation fee", to keep you from using up their precious technician time for uncompensated and possibly frivolous evaluations. That varies widely, but sometimes could run US$50.

Apple-Owned stores are dedicated to having you continue to be a happy customer, and charge nothing for an evaluation. But they are busy, so an appointement is required.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 8:45 AM in response to Olle_8

Apple-Authorized Service Providers are free to charge an "evaluation fee", to keep you from using up their precious technician time for uncompensated and possibly frivolous evaluations. That varies widely, but sometimes could run US$50.

Apple-Owned stores are dedicated to having you continue to be a happy customer, and charge nothing for an evaluation. But they are busy, so an appointement is required.

Jan 1, 2023 6:31 AM in response to Olle_8

Olle_8 wrote:

Hi guys!

A friend spilled about 100ml liquid on my closed M1 MacBook Pro yesterday.

It landed below the apple logo and around on the table.

We quickly picked up the computer and tried it off. I could see small drops of liquid in the air vents below the screen.
I took a small cotton swab and sucked up the liquid in the vents.

It turns on and works just fine! however, I worry about future problems and would like to deal with them asap (insurance).

how can I make sure no damage was made?

Thanks!

Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

If you are concerned further then all you can do is take it and have its guts inspected for water damage.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Spilled liquid on closed M1 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.