Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my AirPort Express to my BT Smart Hub wirelessly?

Hello. I have connected an old B&O speaker to my Apple AirPort Express using the audio socket in the hope that I can use Airplay to stream to the speaker.  I can, but only in what seems to be a standalone network.

I’m having trouble setting up the AirPort Express to link with my BT Smart Hub? I’ve updated the firmware by temporarily plugging it in via an Ethernet cable to my BT Smart Hub. But I couldn’t get it to join the network (amber light flashing). Still it did download the latest firmware. 

I want to use it wirelessly if possible so I don’t have to lay an Ethernet extension cable. I have set it up in what seems to be a standalone Wi-Fi network with no internet connection (the amber light keeps flashing) and there are three status messages shown in Airport Utility (Ethernet unplugged, no internet connection and no DNS server). Nonetheless, I can make it work using Airplay by ignoring all three status messages and coming off my Wi-Fi network and joining the Airport Express network. In this mode it will stream from Airplay on my iPhone to the speaker - and it sounds great! 

But it’s a pain having to lose the internet to do it and it doesn’t seem very stable. It would be great if I could set it up as a Wi-Fi extender (bridge) for my BT Smarthub. Thank you.

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 11:10 AM

Possibly, But the Expess may not be able to connect to a wireless network that is using newer types of security.

The way to find out is use AirPort Utility to try to configure the Express to "join" or "extend" the wireless network that is being provided by your BT Smarthub.

The configuration is different depending on whether you will be using a Mac or an iPhone / iPad to set up the Express. Which device will you be using to we can provide the correct steps?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 11:10 AM in response to J-K-W-121

Possibly, But the Expess may not be able to connect to a wireless network that is using newer types of security.

The way to find out is use AirPort Utility to try to configure the Express to "join" or "extend" the wireless network that is being provided by your BT Smarthub.

The configuration is different depending on whether you will be using a Mac or an iPhone / iPad to set up the Express. Which device will you be using to we can provide the correct steps?

Jan 1, 2023 11:31 AM in response to J-K-W-121

OK, we'll try the setup with an iPhone first.

Disconnect any Ethernet cable that might be connected to the AirPort Expess

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a moment or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

The AirPort Express will restart to a slow blinking amber light status in about a minute

On the iPhone.....make sure that it is connected to Wi-Fi network of the BT Hub

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for a listing of Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Express

The iPhone's screen should now display a setup for the AirPort Express to "join" or "extend" the BT Wi-Fi network

If not, select the BT Wi-Fi Network

Follow the prompts to enter a device name for the AirPort Expess and enter the wireless network password for the BT network

If the Express is compatible with the Wi-Fi from the BT Hub, it will display a green light in about a minute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.