Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect Airport Express wirelessly (for Airplay purposes) to a Wifi 6 router?

I currently have an Airport Time Capsule serving as my main router creating a whole house network. The house is wired for Ethernet, so I have several Airport Expresses (with Airplay) connected via Ethernet to the main router (TC), serving as remote outposts with speakers and Wifi coverage. I also have an Airport Express connected to amplified speakers (Airplay) outside in my BBQ area (but it is wireless, since I don't have Ethernet out there). I also run a 4k projector with movies outdoors and need decent speed out there for a MacBook Pro to stream 4k movies. The issue is the BBQ Express does not have the best signal and I get Airplay drop offs and slow connections. The closest wired router is an Express that is hardwired to my Time Capsule, but it drops off quickly with distance (there's a fire resistant exterior wall in between). The BBQ areas is only about 30 feet from that router.

I was thinking of replacing the ethernet wired AP Express nearest my BBQ with a Wifi 6 router, hardwired to the Time Capsule.

Questions:

• Will that improve the connectivity outside?
  • Will the wirelessly connected Express in my BBQ area be able to wirelessly connect to a Wifi 6 router (are they typically backwards compatible)?
  • Will Airplay still work if it is on the same network?
  • Do I create a new network name or use the same one as the rest of the house?

Additional thoughts:

• I plan on perhaps upgrading most of my network with Wifi 6 at some point (replacing Time Capsule with a W6 router). Will I still be able to use Homekit and Airplay within that system?
  • What is the best way to upgrade a W6 system without losing Airplay / Homekit compatibility?

Thanks all...

-JP

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2021 8:51 AM

Will the wirelessly connected Express in my BBQ area be able to wirelessly connect to a Wifi 6 router (are they typically backwards compatible)?

The AirPort Express will connect to the Wi-Fi signal from a Wi-Fi 6 router, but not at Wi-Fi 6 speeds or higher security levels like WPA3, so whether or not the Express will perform better with a Wi-Fi 6 router is open to question. It might...and it might not. No way to really know in advance.

If you cannot run an Ethernet cable to the BBQ area for the Express, try using a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters to send the signal over the AC wiring. This won't be as good as a regular Ethernet connection, but it is almost always better than trying to use Wi-Fi to connect to the Express.

Will Airplay still work if it is on the same network?

Same answer.

plan on perhaps upgrading most of my network with Wifi 6 at some point (replacing Time Capsule with a W6 router). Will I still be able to use Homekit and Airplay within that system?

Yes

What is the best way to upgrade a W6 system without losing Airplay / Homekit compatibility?

You won't lose AirPlay / HomeKit, but most AirPlay devices will not really benefit from WiFi 6 because they were not designed to do so. Same for most Home/Kit accessories. There is a difference between "fully supports Wi-Fi 6" and "Wi-Fi 6 compatible". Same for WPA3 Security.

WiFi 6 is still pretty much bleeding edge technology. Those who want to try it now should expect to see some blood.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2021 8:51 AM in response to macguyincali

Will the wirelessly connected Express in my BBQ area be able to wirelessly connect to a Wifi 6 router (are they typically backwards compatible)?

The AirPort Express will connect to the Wi-Fi signal from a Wi-Fi 6 router, but not at Wi-Fi 6 speeds or higher security levels like WPA3, so whether or not the Express will perform better with a Wi-Fi 6 router is open to question. It might...and it might not. No way to really know in advance.

If you cannot run an Ethernet cable to the BBQ area for the Express, try using a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters to send the signal over the AC wiring. This won't be as good as a regular Ethernet connection, but it is almost always better than trying to use Wi-Fi to connect to the Express.

Will Airplay still work if it is on the same network?

Same answer.

plan on perhaps upgrading most of my network with Wifi 6 at some point (replacing Time Capsule with a W6 router). Will I still be able to use Homekit and Airplay within that system?

Yes

What is the best way to upgrade a W6 system without losing Airplay / Homekit compatibility?

You won't lose AirPlay / HomeKit, but most AirPlay devices will not really benefit from WiFi 6 because they were not designed to do so. Same for most Home/Kit accessories. There is a difference between "fully supports Wi-Fi 6" and "Wi-Fi 6 compatible". Same for WPA3 Security.

WiFi 6 is still pretty much bleeding edge technology. Those who want to try it now should expect to see some blood.

Jun 20, 2021 11:42 AM in response to Bob Timmons

This is why I love Mac people. Amazingly thorough and helpful answer. Will look into the Ethernet over power line option. WiFi 6 may need to wait. I had expected that any newer router would likely have better throughput or distance than the 2nd gen airport express, Wifi 6 or not. But perhaps not.

Again, thanks for the detailed response. Will report back once I try out the various options.

Jun 25, 2021 6:14 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Again, extra thanks to Bob for posting legitimate answers and not just posting an empty response directing me to do the obvious things (or to boot in SAFE mode) which I find a lot of people do in this forum just to get their Level points.

Quick follow up:

I've installed Ethernet over power line adapters to reach the Airport Express at the BBQ. The throughput is decent, but not as high as I was expecting. I'm getting about 25Mb/s which should be enough to stream 4k content. I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done to up that throughput, considering I have a 600Mb/s fiber connection.

I haven't purchased a new Wifi 6 router and will likely not do so for a while. Will report back if I do, if anyone is having a similar problem. But the Ethernet over power line adapter definitely improved my outside internet connection.

Can I connect Airport Express wirelessly (for Airplay purposes) to a Wifi 6 router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.