Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my iPad’s MAC address change?

Please tell me I’m not losing my mind.

About a year ago, I set up my Asus RT-AC86U router’s DHCP to manually assign the same IP address to my iPad Air (3rd Generation) by inputting my iPad’s WiFi Address into the router’s DHCP interface. My iPad showed the same IP address for months.

The other day, I noticed that my IP address for my iPad was showing something different. I made sure Private WiFi was off for my home network, then stared blankly at the MAC address I had inputted on my router: it is different than what my iPad shows under Settings > General > About “WiFi Address.” But it’s not possible for my iPad’s physical, hard-coded MAC/WiFi address to change…right?

What’s more, I’m relatively certain the same thing has happened on my iPhone 8, which means the only other rational explanation is that both somehow changed on my router, despite no other devices being influenced? Is Steve Jobs messing with me from The Beyond to get me to update my devices?

Thanks in advance for any input or reassurances that no, I am not crazy.

JLB

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 4:14 AM

The only plausible explanation is that when you were setting-up your router’s access control, that you unintentionally set the [then current] Private Address for the client - instead of using the unique device MAC address. It’s an easy mistake to make - made by many before you and likely many more in your footsteps. This error is commonly made because iOS/iPadOS initially enables Private Address by default upon first connection.

If you are using a MAC-based Access Control List (ACL) to control access to your WiFi Network, always ensure that you have disabled Apple’s Private Address feature when initially joining the network. As you are evidently aware, this feature is enabled/disabled for each WiFi network.

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] > Private Wi-Fi Address - set to OFF

When this setting is enabled, you iPad will not be using its burned-in (unique) MAC Address, but will instead use the Private [MAC] Address that will regularly change. With the setting disabled, your iPad will use its real (fixed) MAC Address. You can see the currently active MAC address from the associated WiFi settings page.

You will find your burned-in (unique/real) WiFi and Bluetooth MAC Addresses from:

Settings > General > About

Only when Private Addresses are disabled will you see the burned-in (unique) MAC in the associated WiFi settings page.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 4:14 AM in response to jjbco

The only plausible explanation is that when you were setting-up your router’s access control, that you unintentionally set the [then current] Private Address for the client - instead of using the unique device MAC address. It’s an easy mistake to make - made by many before you and likely many more in your footsteps. This error is commonly made because iOS/iPadOS initially enables Private Address by default upon first connection.

If you are using a MAC-based Access Control List (ACL) to control access to your WiFi Network, always ensure that you have disabled Apple’s Private Address feature when initially joining the network. As you are evidently aware, this feature is enabled/disabled for each WiFi network.

Settings > WiFi > [Your WiFi Network / SSID] > Private Wi-Fi Address - set to OFF

When this setting is enabled, you iPad will not be using its burned-in (unique) MAC Address, but will instead use the Private [MAC] Address that will regularly change. With the setting disabled, your iPad will use its real (fixed) MAC Address. You can see the currently active MAC address from the associated WiFi settings page.

You will find your burned-in (unique/real) WiFi and Bluetooth MAC Addresses from:

Settings > General > About

Only when Private Addresses are disabled will you see the burned-in (unique) MAC in the associated WiFi settings page.

Jan 1, 2023 11:13 PM in response to jjbco

Hi jjbco

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Now I'm no expert in this area, and I certainly do not know how much wifi / broadband / networks and routers differ from country to country.

It does seem that the router at my place changes the IP address used whenever it is reset.

The address may change when we simply turn our modem / router off and back on.

Can also change if the network provider is doing maintenance in the area, and access is turned off and back on.

I guess any interruption to supply can cause this change.

Hope this limited experience can help :-)

Can my iPad’s MAC address change?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.