Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 60W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter Overheating

I have a MacBook Pro 13 Early 2015. The power adapter is overheating to the point of it's now stopping the charge and the actual block is too hot to touch. It has the magnetic plug in to the MacBook. Is there a replacement adapter that works to eliminate the overheating? Or conversely, what is causing the overheating?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 9:53 PM

Replace the power supply (charger). It should never get too hot to touch, and if it's stopped charging from overheating, that's a clear message. After 8 years, hardware like this sometimes stops working.

These chargers are not expensive, and you can find them (including on Amazon but also elsewhere) by searching on the internet for "charger for 2015 MacBook Pro." Make sure it is a genuine Apple part and that it has the correct magnetic connector for your Mac: anything 60W OR HIGHER will work -- a higher power Apple brand charger for a different Apple laptop model will not hurt your Mac as long as it has the correct corrector, it will take what it needs and nothing more. [I recommend staying away from non-Apple branded chargers that claim to "work."]

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2023 9:53 PM in response to Kimincanadaalberta

Replace the power supply (charger). It should never get too hot to touch, and if it's stopped charging from overheating, that's a clear message. After 8 years, hardware like this sometimes stops working.

These chargers are not expensive, and you can find them (including on Amazon but also elsewhere) by searching on the internet for "charger for 2015 MacBook Pro." Make sure it is a genuine Apple part and that it has the correct magnetic connector for your Mac: anything 60W OR HIGHER will work -- a higher power Apple brand charger for a different Apple laptop model will not hurt your Mac as long as it has the correct corrector, it will take what it needs and nothing more. [I recommend staying away from non-Apple branded chargers that claim to "work."]

Apple 60W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.