Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive doesn't react anymore

Last week during the holidays my gf and I did a Harry Potter Marathon. During this event we used a USB SuperDrive to watch the DVD box. This SuperDrive we used it already for quite a fewtimes the watch the HP serie. But after a little break and during the start of a new episode the SuperDrive took the DVD but didn’t start the DVD. At that moment the I checked the Utility Disk and the SuperDrive didn’t show up in the list. When I pull out the usb port and push it back in a Mac I hear the Drive starting to read the DVD for 1 sec. Then it doesn’t do anything. 

We used the SuperDrive with a MacBook Pro 2014, and I tried also a MacBook Pro 2020 and a MacMini2020 with M1 chip. At all of them the SuperDrive has the same reaction of 1 sec starting to read and after that nothing happens. 

Does somebody know what to do? Is it possible to fix the SuperDrive or is it broken? If it is broken can I get my DVD rejected from the SuperDrive? 

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 8:52 AM

Welcome!

DId you change how the SD was connected? They will not work through a hub. To get the power they need they must be connected directly to the computer and, if the computer has USB-C ports, one of the Apple adapters listed in this article:

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Third-party adapters too often fail to work with the SD.

Also, and please pardon me is this sounds trite (it's not, it's important), is the silver side up? "Black-side up" is a major cause of SD issues over the years.

If the above are all 100%, then you can try a drive cleaning disk. Slot-load optical drive get filthy and that can stop them from working.

As for getting the disk out, turn off the computer, connect the SD per Apple instructions, and restart the computer while holding the trackpad click function. As see this:

If you can’t eject a disk on Mac, try these solutions - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2023 8:52 AM in response to teun93

Welcome!

DId you change how the SD was connected? They will not work through a hub. To get the power they need they must be connected directly to the computer and, if the computer has USB-C ports, one of the Apple adapters listed in this article:

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

Third-party adapters too often fail to work with the SD.

Also, and please pardon me is this sounds trite (it's not, it's important), is the silver side up? "Black-side up" is a major cause of SD issues over the years.

If the above are all 100%, then you can try a drive cleaning disk. Slot-load optical drive get filthy and that can stop them from working.

As for getting the disk out, turn off the computer, connect the SD per Apple instructions, and restart the computer while holding the trackpad click function. As see this:

If you can’t eject a disk on Mac, try these solutions - Apple Support

SuperDrive doesn't react anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.