Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI-CEC volume control not working on new Apple TV.

I recently bought a new Hisense 4K tv and began using my old Apple TV with Siri and glass touch pad on it. This Apple TV remote worked fine with the volume controls and used HDMI-CEC.

I decided to upgrade my Apple TV to the 4k (2022) since I bought a 4K TV. The new remotes power button works well but the volume controls do not for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s the new remote or something else but it’s very annoying that the old remotes volume controls worked but this one doesn’t.

I have tried resetting the remote, Apple TV and television but it doesn’t fix it. I have also updated everything I can with the new Apple TV and still nothing.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 1:01 AM

Apple TV likely doesn’t use CEC Volume Control with any TV. CEC Volume Control is supported to work with select AV receivers that support CEC Volume Control. In all other wired situations, the Apple TV Remote uses IR signals for volume control, directly to the TV or audio system. No TV is known to take CEC Volume Control signals from HDMI connected devices.

Verify Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥ and select there the intended method.

If Auto doesn’t work for you, then choose TV via IR or your audio system via IR. If you TV or audio system wants non-standard signals for volume control, then let Apple TV learn those signals. Learn New Device would create an additional custom setting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 1:01 AM in response to Ender550

Apple TV likely doesn’t use CEC Volume Control with any TV. CEC Volume Control is supported to work with select AV receivers that support CEC Volume Control. In all other wired situations, the Apple TV Remote uses IR signals for volume control, directly to the TV or audio system. No TV is known to take CEC Volume Control signals from HDMI connected devices.

Verify Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥ and select there the intended method.

If Auto doesn’t work for you, then choose TV via IR or your audio system via IR. If you TV or audio system wants non-standard signals for volume control, then let Apple TV learn those signals. Learn New Device would create an additional custom setting.

HDMI-CEC volume control not working on new Apple TV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.