Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos to free up space

Can I delete iPhotos library without deleting my photo library? Would this affect any photos in my photo library? It would free up 38GBits on my computer so I can update my macOS version. I now have Big Sur version 11.7.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 3:33 PM

Assuming you have migrated your iPhoto Library to Photos, and you're happy that it has gone well and you're pleased with the result, then yes you can safely delete your old iPhoto Library. You will recover some space, just not as much as you expect, as the masters files are the same in both libraries.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 3:33 PM in response to BiggPapa

Assuming you have migrated your iPhoto Library to Photos, and you're happy that it has gone well and you're pleased with the result, then yes you can safely delete your old iPhoto Library. You will recover some space, just not as much as you expect, as the masters files are the same in both libraries.

Deleting photos to free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.