Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to adjust the appearance on a purchased book

I recented purchased the new Barbara Kingsolver book, "Demon Copperhead". When my wife started to read it the font is too small and in a style that is hard to read. It can only be displayed as black on white. When we click on the Adjust Appearance icon the only choice that is offered is brightness. There is no selection of fonts or background tone, we can't adjust the size of the print. Since it is a bestseller I expected it to be a full-featured epub. Is there some way to unlock these adjustments?

This flaw appears in both Books for iOS and on the Mac.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 12:10 PM

I was using iOS16.2 on two different iPads and Mac OS 13.1 (Ventura) on an M1 MacBook Pro and the book as originally downloaded did not allow for any adjustment of the fonts or display parameters. I examined the contents of the ePub file and found that it didn't have the usual Font folder and appeared deficient in other ways.

However, you gave me an idea that led to a successful conclusion. I deleted the book from my iPad and then went to the store and downloaded the sample. As you said, with the sample I was able to adjust all the appearance parameters as expected. I then purchased the book from within the sample and it redownloaded. The new copy works perfectly. I have no idea why this worked and the original purchase of the book directly did not but thanks for giving me the idea.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 12:10 PM in response to picas

I was using iOS16.2 on two different iPads and Mac OS 13.1 (Ventura) on an M1 MacBook Pro and the book as originally downloaded did not allow for any adjustment of the fonts or display parameters. I examined the contents of the ePub file and found that it didn't have the usual Font folder and appeared deficient in other ways.

However, you gave me an idea that led to a successful conclusion. I deleted the book from my iPad and then went to the store and downloaded the sample. As you said, with the sample I was able to adjust all the appearance parameters as expected. I then purchased the book from within the sample and it redownloaded. The new copy works perfectly. I have no idea why this worked and the original purchase of the book directly did not but thanks for giving me the idea.

Unable to adjust the appearance on a purchased book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.