Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode not working (iMac 27in late 2012 os Mountain Lion / Mac Mini 2020)

So I'm trying to connect my Mac mini 2020 with an old iMac as display.

Pretty sure I'm setting everything right but nothing happened when I press Command+F2

please help, here's my setup right now:

*Mac Mini 2020-os Ventura

*iMac 27inch late 2012-os Mountain Lion

*Cable-Thuderbolt cable + Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor

*Double checked the keyboard setting too

*run my command+F2 on iMac

What did I miss?

Mac mini, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 5:48 AM

Actually, the 2020 Mini lacks the hardware to connect to an iMac in target display mode as do all Macs released from 2020 onward. From this page Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support :

• "The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed."

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 5:48 AM in response to evaphy2022

Actually, the 2020 Mini lacks the hardware to connect to an iMac in target display mode as do all Macs released from 2020 onward. From this page Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support :

• "The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed."

Target Display Mode not working (iMac 27in late 2012 os Mountain Lion / Mac Mini 2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.