Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with text messages on iPhone 14 Pro

I have 2 new iPhone 14 pro's. One of the phones intermittently allows text messages to be sent, and often does not receive texts sent to that phone number. The second iPhone performs without any problems so I think the issue is with the phone or phone setup and not the network. Are there any settings that I need to check in order to make sure that I am not unintentionally causing the problem myself? Often there is a "message not sent" notice. Clicking on it will give options to resend or to sent the message as text (I don't know how else it is being sent if not by text). Does this suggest any possible settings issues treat I need ro change?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:15 PM

Based on your initial confusion over "how else it is being sent if not by text", I need to ask if you're using iMessage (blue) or SMS (green) or you aware of the difference? iMessage is Apple's messaging system that can be used between people logged into the system on Apple equipment who also have an active data connection. SMS messages, also known as "text messages" are sent using the cellular voice channel. You can send them to anyone with an active cell phone.

I would suggest that, on both devices, you set up iMessages if you have not already done so. See the instructions below.

Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

If you are already signed into iMessage, sign out on both device and restart them. Sign back in. See if that helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 1:15 PM in response to chuck277

Based on your initial confusion over "how else it is being sent if not by text", I need to ask if you're using iMessage (blue) or SMS (green) or you aware of the difference? iMessage is Apple's messaging system that can be used between people logged into the system on Apple equipment who also have an active data connection. SMS messages, also known as "text messages" are sent using the cellular voice channel. You can send them to anyone with an active cell phone.

I would suggest that, on both devices, you set up iMessages if you have not already done so. See the instructions below.

Set up Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

If you are already signed into iMessage, sign out on both device and restart them. Sign back in. See if that helps.

Problems with text messages on iPhone 14 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.