Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil (1st gen) not connecting to Ipad Pro (5th gen)

So I got this iPad Pro for Christmas it says it’s a 12.9 inch 5th gen one to be specific

Long story short I tried connecting it to my Apple Pencil (1st gen) using the new usb c connector but it keeps saying the accessory’s not supported

I don’t think the pencil itself is that old and I haven’t even touched it in a few months so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be connecting

pls help I just wanna draw again

iPod, 9

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 5:14 PM

The fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9” supports the second generation Apple Pencil. The first generation Apple Pencil is not supported by this model of iPad Pro. The much older first and second generation iPad Pro 12.9”, with a Lightning port, do support the first generation Apple Pencil.

Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad can be found here:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. Charging is controlled via the iPad magnetic dock.

The first generation Apple Pencil uses the physical Lightning port for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. With the sole exception of the new iPad10 that requires a special adapter, the first generation Pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector.

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2023 5:14 PM in response to BlubBlubAmFish

The fifth generation iPad Pro 12.9” supports the second generation Apple Pencil. The first generation Apple Pencil is not supported by this model of iPad Pro. The much older first and second generation iPad Pro 12.9”, with a Lightning port, do support the first generation Apple Pencil.

Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad can be found here:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

The first and second generation Pencil use an entirely different pairing and charging interface. The second generation Pencil can only be used with iPad models that have the magnetic/inductive dock that is exclusively designed for the Pencil. Charging is controlled via the iPad magnetic dock.

The first generation Apple Pencil uses the physical Lightning port for both pairing and charging the first generation Pencil. With the sole exception of the new iPad10 that requires a special adapter, the first generation Pencil can only be used with compatible iPad models that have a Lightning connector.

In summary, the Apple Pencil models are not interchangeable - and can only be used with the iPad that has appropriate internal hardware.

Apple Pencil (1st gen) not connecting to Ipad Pro (5th gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.