Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Installing Samsung SCX-3405FW Series Printer on Mac Pro

I just got a new mac and trying to install Samsung SCX-3405FW Series Printer. When I downloaded the SCX-3405FW driver, the driver does not show up in 'Add Printer...'

I downloaded the Samsung_Mac_Driver_V3.93.06 instead and the SCX-3400 driver shows up in 'Add Printer' as the recommended driver but I get an error when I try to use the printer. Error Message: "Printing: Filter Failed". SCX-3405FW not available.

I have the latest MacOS 13.1 installed.

Can someone help please?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 8:06 AM

Hi,

Have you tried to use a driver for another model included in this universal driver package? Maybe something like the M2020 or M2070? This may or may not work with macOS 13 Ventura (V3.93.06 seems to be for macOS 12 only on HP's support site).

The SCX-3405FW is not mentioned in the December 13, 2022 en-us version of About AirPrint - Apple Support. However, it is interesting to note that a Samsung SCX-3405FW was listed in an old Dec 10, 2015 issue of the same article, as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An early AirPrint/firmware version? Anyway, if nothing else works, you could perhaps check whether it would be possible to add the printer (without additional drivers) using AirPrint. That is, if the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). Possibly with updated printer firmware.

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections, so you could choose to wire the printer to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router, instead of using Wi-Fi for the test. An Ethernet connection is often more stable.

You may have to reset the printing system between tests. See also:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 8:06 AM in response to Mello_101

Hi,

Have you tried to use a driver for another model included in this universal driver package? Maybe something like the M2020 or M2070? This may or may not work with macOS 13 Ventura (V3.93.06 seems to be for macOS 12 only on HP's support site).

The SCX-3405FW is not mentioned in the December 13, 2022 en-us version of About AirPrint - Apple Support. However, it is interesting to note that a Samsung SCX-3405FW was listed in an old Dec 10, 2015 issue of the same article, as a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. An early AirPrint/firmware version? Anyway, if nothing else works, you could perhaps check whether it would be possible to add the printer (without additional drivers) using AirPrint. That is, if the printer and the Mac computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). Possibly with updated printer firmware.

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections, so you could choose to wire the printer to one of the LAN ports of the Wi-Fi router, instead of using Wi-Fi for the test. An Ethernet connection is often more stable.

You may have to reset the printing system between tests. See also:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 5, 2023 6:00 AM in response to Mello_101

Mello_101 wrote:

I just got a new mac and trying to install Samsung SCX-3405FW Series Printer. When I downloaded the SCX-3405FW driver, the driver does not show up in 'Add Printer...'

I downloaded the Samsung_Mac_Driver_V3.93.06 instead and the SCX-3400 driver shows up in 'Add Printer' as the recommended driver but I get an error when I try to use the printer. Error Message: "Printing: Filter Failed". SCX-3405FW not available.

I have the latest MacOS 13.1 installed.

Can someone help please?

Solve printing problems on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/solve-printing-problems-on-mac-mh14002/mac

Feb 17, 2023 11:23 AM in response to Mello_101

HP bought out Samsung's printer division. You could try installing the HP Smart app in the App Store. Then reset the printing system and see if that includes a working driver when adding the printer back in. You might get lucky.

Alternative methods would be to purchase or build your own print server. i.e. a box that connects to Ethernet and USB to the printer and provides print serving and AirPrint/Zeroconfig/Bonjour printing. Or you can get a Raspberry Pi (hard to find lately due to supply chain) but you can setup a print server on the rPi as well as Linux based AVAHI which is Bonjour / Airprint / Zeroconfig.

Or recycle the older printer and buy a new one that supports AirPrint and supports macOS Ventura and beyond. Yes, it's frustrating when old hardware is no longer supported. But at least new hardware is significantly less money that the old printer was at the time of purchase.

Issues Installing Samsung SCX-3405FW Series Printer on Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.