Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display delayed startup

I have 2 thunderbolt displays that work perfectly on my Mac Pro 2013. When I connect them to my Mac Studio using the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters, the main screen boots up on startup, the 2nd screen can take up to 7 minutes to go from black screen to the extended screen. Time varies down to 4 minutes. If I do a restart, both screens startup together. This has happened intermittently since I set the new machine up.

VERY annoying.

I have tried disconnecting all cables and power plugs, waited 30+ seconds before starting - same thing.

I took my MacPro out of its case, connected screens etc, worked as they should.

Would really appreciate some help before I go to Apple Support - see attached below

Best Regards

Ron

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:14 AM

The last few macOS versions have had issues with dual displays.

Try starting up the Mac Studio and then unplug and replug (hot plug) the cable from the Thunderbolt port that drives the display that is not responding. If that lights up the unresponsive display, then one work around is to just leave the Mac Studio on, adjust the Energy Saver Settings to Prevent computer sleep and then just let the Display turn off in standby mode after 10 or 15 minutes.

Again this is a macOS issue that not only effects the Mac Studio, but the Mac mini's and other Mac's running dual displays as well. To help make Apple aware of this issue, please join us other users and send feedback to Apple.

Feedback - Mac Studio - Apple

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 10:14 AM in response to two botts

The last few macOS versions have had issues with dual displays.

Try starting up the Mac Studio and then unplug and replug (hot plug) the cable from the Thunderbolt port that drives the display that is not responding. If that lights up the unresponsive display, then one work around is to just leave the Mac Studio on, adjust the Energy Saver Settings to Prevent computer sleep and then just let the Display turn off in standby mode after 10 or 15 minutes.

Again this is a macOS issue that not only effects the Mac Studio, but the Mac mini's and other Mac's running dual displays as well. To help make Apple aware of this issue, please join us other users and send feedback to Apple.

Feedback - Mac Studio - Apple

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Jan 5, 2023 7:58 PM in response to den.thed

Hi Den

Sorry I didn't mention it but yes, I did as you suggested and it turned the screen on when I plugged it back in. I didn't mention but it affects both buses, 0 and 5 - very random.

I sent feedback as you suggested so will give them an opportunity to reply in the next couple of days before I make a formal request through Apple support. In my opinion this is also a warranty issue, definitely not fit for purpose.

Something else I forgot to mention, with this machine I decided not carry over the garbage from the MacPro, everything was a clean install - system, adobe apps, microsoft apps etc and nothing allowed to operate in the background ie Creative Cloud, no Dropbox or any auto-updaters. I took all care and my mate mr apple took a bite out of me anyway.

I'll let you know how it goes, once again, thanks very much for your help and guidance

Have a great weekend

Ron

Jan 18, 2023 8:13 PM in response to den.thed

Hi Den, took awhile but I found the solution while waiting for Apple support to come back to me. There must be some internal damage to one of the thunderbolt MagSafe cables (inside the case). I did not realise that the monitor could be connected to the Mac Studio through the monitors external thunderbolt port with another cable - works perfectly now - isn't trial and error a great thing.

Thanks again for your help

Best Regards

Ron

Thunderbolt Display delayed startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.