Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to check for spyware on a MacBook Pro?

Is it possible to check for spyware without downloading an antivirus programme on a Macbook Pro. Some contributors advise against antivirus programmes.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:21 AM

6 replies

Jan 6, 2023 6:02 PM in response to mAcCAs731416

Some contributors advise against antivirus programmes.

For good reason. Most of those scam websites are designed to get you to do just that. Downloading and installing junk is the first step in a well-worn path to misery.

What you encountered is a common scam. Read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages - Apple Community for a few examples and what to do about them.

By the way what you did was 100% correct: close the page and forget about it.

Jan 6, 2023 8:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for your reply Yer_ Man.

I was browsing the internet when suddenly I got a Ransom demand telling me that I was locked out of my computer, not to attempt to close down my laptop but to ring a specified number to unlock it. I tried to close down but PC was totally locked. A window appeared after a short while with the option to " leave this page " which I actioned . My laptop has been operating normally since.

The only fear I have is that this hacker might have downloaded, during this sequence of events, Spyware. I am reluctant to use my credit card at the moment on the internet as a result.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Is it possible to check for spyware on a MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.