Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie media sort order

I'm trying to create and edit a video project from my year's worth of video clips taken on my iPhone and saved in my Photos library. When I select "Photos" from the sidebar menu in the iMovie media section, I then filter at the top by selecting "All Photos" and "Videos" but my video clips appear in reverse order (newest to oldest) and there's no way to change the sort order. As a result, when I select several clips and drag them to the edit timeline, they are inserted in reverse chronological order... Why would I want my Christmas video clips appearing first in my video project, followed by Thanksgiving, then Halloween, etc.? This is nuts. I do this every year and iMovie has worked fine until now. I suspect that either iMovie 10.3.5 or MacOS 12.6 bugs are the culprit, but I would love to hear if anyone else is running into this problem and discovered a workaround. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 10:52 PM

The photos displayed via the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar are not yet in the iMovie system. iMovie is just referencing them in the order that they exist in the Photos app library. Therefore iMovie cannot sort them in the media browser display of the Photos app pics. Drag the photos onto the icon bearing the project's name under the heading "Project Media" in the project sidebar. That will display them in the media browser and put them into the iMovie system. Then you can do a View/Sort Clips by/Ascending/Date.

— Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2023 10:52 PM in response to vikewings

The photos displayed via the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar are not yet in the iMovie system. iMovie is just referencing them in the order that they exist in the Photos app library. Therefore iMovie cannot sort them in the media browser display of the Photos app pics. Drag the photos onto the icon bearing the project's name under the heading "Project Media" in the project sidebar. That will display them in the media browser and put them into the iMovie system. Then you can do a View/Sort Clips by/Ascending/Date.

— Rich

iMovie media sort order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.