Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning globe on startup

I have reset my laptop and erased the disk then restarted the computer. This is the screen that comes up. I have put the wifi password in. It has connected to the wifi however there’s no additional prompts beyond this screen. I have tried the command + R option aswell as the Shift+Option+Command+R option and nothing. Please help

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 8:33 PM

That’s internet Recovery. It is trying to load from Apple’s servers. That’s all you have left when you erase the drive. Were you expecting a different outcome?

It may take a little while to boot, but it probably should be booted by now.

Maybe try raking it to a different network.

3 replies

Jan 5, 2023 9:23 PM in response to Sleisaf

According to Apple:

Globe with warning symbol:

A globe with an exclamation point means that your Mac tried to start up from macOS Recovery over the internet, but couldn't. 

If you can't start up from macOS Recovery:

If your Mac can't start up from its built-in macOS Recovery system, it might try to start up from macOS Recovery over the Internet. When that happens, you see a spinning globe instead of an Apple logo during startup:

To manually start up from Internet Recovery, press and hold either of these key combinations at startup:

If startup from Internet Recovery is unsuccessful, you see a globe with a warning symbol (exclamation point):

If you see the globe and warning symbol, try these solutions:

• Make sure that your Mac can connect to the internet. If you're not prompted to choose a Wi-Fi network during startup, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu , if available.
  • Press Command-R at startup to try using the built-in Recovery system instead of internet Recovery.
  • Connect to the internet using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, or vice versa.
  • Connect to the internet from a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network. Your network configuration might not allow the internet access that macOS Recovery needs.
  • Try again later, because the issue might be temporary.
  • Start up from another disk or volume, if available, or use a bootable installer to reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support:

Spinning globe on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.