Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pinch to Zoom not working on MacOS Ventura

Pinch to Zoom works sporadically on MacOS Ventura. I use an Air M2 but have seen a few threads for Monterey OS as well as both OS systems for other Mac models.

12-15 times per day, I'll try to pinch to zoom (across a host of interfaces: some complex, sometimes as simple as Google Docs) and the functionality just doesn't respond.

The only consistent fix I've found is to open Trackpad settings, and turn Pinch to Zoom on and off about 6-7 times. Any fewer and I don't get a response. It's maddening and in honesty probably takes 5 minutes total out of a workday in total (not a lot but when paired with an extremely poor user experience it compounds quickly).

Has anyone come up with a solve for this, on any OS or any device?

I work in product design, so naturally rely on the ability to pinch to zoom in and out of wireframes, UIs, and workflows - an action I probably perform a thousand times daily. It's honestly becoming a make-or-break for me - switched from Windows about a year ago and the constant flow interruptions are such that I want to switch back, only for that reason.

Curious whether this has happened to anyone else on Ventura with a Mac M2. I have found posts of this ilk back 5 years or so, so I'm surprised that Apple dev hasn't looked at it?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 2:22 PM

buggedApple wrote:

Pinch to Zoom works sporadically on MacOS Ventura. I use an Air M2 but have seen a few threads for Monterey OS as well as both OS systems for other Mac models.

12-15 times per day, I'll try to pinch to zoom (across a host of interfaces: some complex, sometimes as simple as Google Docs) and the functionality just doesn't respond.

The only consistent fix I've found is to open Trackpad settings, and turn Pinch to Zoom on and off about 6-7 times. Any fewer and I don't get a response. It's maddening and in honesty probably takes 5 minutes total out of a workday in total (not a lot but when paired with an extremely poor user experience it compounds quickly).

I work in product design, so naturally rely on the ability to pinch to zoom in and out of wireframes, UIs, and workflows - an action I probably perform a thousand times daily. It's honestly becoming a make-or-break for me - switched from Windows about a year ago and the constant flow interruptions are such that I want to switch back, only for that reason.

Curious whether this has happened to anyone else on Ventura with a Mac M2. I have found posts of this ilk back 5 years or so, so I'm surprised that Apple dev hasn't looked at it?

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The key shortcuts:

Command +

Command -

Comnad 0 default

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 2:22 PM in response to buggedApple

buggedApple wrote:

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

The key shortcuts:

Command +

Command -

Comnad 0 default

Mar 28, 2023 7:56 AM in response to buggedApple

buggedApple wrote:

This is quite a funny response. Obviously I can zoom in and out in 10% increments, 6-7 clicks in, 6-7 clicks out, 800 times per day, but then I've multiplied my actions as a user by a factor of 12-14 and created a vastly inferior experience that takes far more time. Why even offer pinch to zoom if it's clear that so many users can't even use it?

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes,  security updates  is macOS Ventura 13.3  see if that changes anything for you. report back your success or failure.

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura

What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura - Apple Support

Jan 6, 2023 2:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

This is quite a funny response. Obviously I can zoom in and out in 10% increments, 6-7 clicks in, 6-7 clicks out, 800 times per day, but then I've multiplied my actions as a user by a factor of 12-14 and created a vastly inferior experience that takes far more time. Why even offer pinch to zoom if it's clear that so many users can't even use it?

Mar 12, 2023 9:02 AM in response to leroydouglas

I'm experiencing the same issue on a M2 Macbook Air with macOS Ventura 13.1.

It's very annoying and a major usability issue for any kind of design work (such as Figma, Miro etc.) in browsers (so far I had the issue on various websites using Chrome, Edge and Opera) and I've even experienced the occasional disfunction of pinch-to-zoom on desktop apps (e.g. Shapr3d). Thus I believe that this a general issue which needs to be fixed via a software update.

Please prioritise solving this problem, thanks!

Pinch to Zoom not working on MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.