Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jagged lines when exporting

Hi I I don't quite understand why this is happening. I am trying to create a video file for a home movie that I want to put on Vimeo and while it looks good in Final Cut when I export it I see jagged lines. I have tried using various settings and also using Compressor but getting the same result. I have tried using the same export settings as the input settings using Pro Res 422, I have tried using H264 but I get the same result. I have also tried to turn de-interlacing on in Final Cut, but get the same result.

The videos were imported from miniDV camera and the project settings are NTSC SD with a resolution of 720x480 DV 29.97i and is rendering using Apple ProRes 422. It doesn’t make since why there are these lines even if I output using the same codec that its rendering with (looks great in Final Cut Pro).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Scott

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 10:29 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 6, 2023 11:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

When I export the current frame it looks pixelated also so I am sharing a screen shot where you can see the difference between export and a screen shot.

This is a screen shot of the original FCP playback at full screen:

And here is an export of the same frame from FCP where you see the jagged lines:

So the same thing happens when I even export a still frame. I know the original movie isn't 4k, its an old miniDV movie but it looks great in FCP.

Thanks,

Scott

Jan 6, 2023 10:37 AM in response to georgasd

Is the project at the same size (720x480)? At what size are you viewing the resulting video?

The frame dimensions being small would mean that to see the video at full screen it would scaled up very significantly.

Small frame size, and interlaced to boot, is likely to cause problems. I think you made the right choice in letting FCP deinterlace it. Is the project set to progressive?

Can you show an example of how it looks inside FCP and after export?

Can you tell us the exact project settings? Press Command-J to see the Project inpector.

Jan 6, 2023 11:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

Thanks for your reply. I have used various versions of FCP over the years but I'm not an expert so I hope that I'm answering your question correctly. When you say what size am I viewing (you don't mean rendering) in FCP pro I have it set to fit the window however I have tried previewing it in full screen mode and its fine. It's not as crisp as HD video however there are no jagged lines.

I tried exporting a still from both Final Cut and compared it to a still from the exported file and they look the same - they have jagged lines maybe because I'm freezing and exporting it or because it was shot in miniDV?

Sorry I don't know what you mean about how it looks after export, I just select the export settings and let it create the file.

The project settings are 
Video format: NTSC SD
, Video resolution: 720x480 DV

Video rate: 29.97i

Rendering Codec: Apple ProRes 422

Color Space: Standard - Rec. 601 (NTSC)

Audio channels: Stereo

Audio sample rate: 48 kHz

Scott

Jan 6, 2023 12:07 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I believe that changing the project to 30p fixed it! I don't quite understand how that is different from selecting deinterlace?

That definitely worked as I when I play them side by side you can see the jagged lines in the first video but not the second. Perhaps I should do that for all my older videos.

Thanks so much guys!

Scott

Jagged lines when exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.