Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Video file in 4K dragged into HD project in Final Cut Pro X becomes blurry

Issue is still reproducible from previous post: 4k footage in a 1080p timeline looks blur… - Apple Community

I just wasted 4 hours with my project just to understand that it is not a problem of my skills but rather an issue of FCPX.

Does anyone know how in 2024 to fix it or it is still an open defect?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 9:28 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 21, 2024 12:53 PM in response to PeterKem

I do this almost daily, have for many years, never had an issue.

What is Spacial Conform and Scale set to for your 4K clips?

If it is only more blurry during playback, then you have the Viewer menu set to "Better Performance."

If it is more blurry all the time, delete all render files, then turn off background rendering, and delete pref files.

Apr 21, 2024 2:41 PM in response to PeterKem

Step 1 is define the problem. 4k downsized to 1080p will have less pixels, hence will look less sharp. When you say 1080p is blurry, do you mean when exported or viewed in FCP? In general for such tests you want to export the material various ways and view it in Quicktime Player.

I know several years ago there was a definite problem (or behavior) whereby some types of 4k downscaled to 1080p in FCP seemed to lose sharpness relative to other 1080p downscaling methods.

However I just retested this using your original material on FCP 10.7.1, Compressor 4.7, and Sonoma 14.4.1 on an M1 Ultra and I cannot see any difference between various FCP 1080p exports vs Compressor 1080p exports.

Please give us complete information on the year and model of your Mac, and versions of MacOS, FCP and Compressor. Please specify when you see a 1080p export as blurry, relative to what (using current versions). If you are comparing that to a Compressor 1080p export, we need to know the exact parameters of that export and what FCP export preset you used.

Video file in 4K dragged into HD project in Final Cut Pro X becomes blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.