How to fix choppy audio on MacBook Pro with Bluetooth devices?

Using a bluetooth headset, mouse, and keyboard. Have restarted PC, audio-related apps, no avail. Audio is choppy and stuttering at seemingly regular intervals. Any ideas on how to fix this? I've read countless other forums and articles and nothing I do seems to work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 3:22 AM

Same issue. I can't believe the amount of $$$ for a device that can't handle 3 bluetooth devices at one time.

73 replies

Jan 20, 2023 1:36 AM in response to mf_ent

I read in another forum, that this happens if there are more than two devices connected via bluetooth. Sure enough I also have mouse, keyboard and speaker connected. Switching the mouse to usb "fixed" the problem. @Apple: Please look into this issue. Happened to me after upgrading to 13.1 on m1 max.

just to clarify: 3 bluetooth devices make the sound choppy, 2 bluetooth devices and it works.

Feb 6, 2023 12:49 PM in response to mf_ent

I'm seeing what jtstreamer experienced in that it's tied to the number of bluetooth devices. Unfortunately for me, it's limited to bluetooth connection.

Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse + bluetooth headset (oddly, for all but 1 of my headsets) - stuttering.

Turn off Keyboard - still stutters.

Turn off Mouse also - no stutters.

Turn back on Mouse - instant stutters.

This is not an "extreme" configuration, so hopefully they fix it soon. I'm on Ventura.

Jan 31, 2024 6:09 PM in response to avlena

I'm seeing the same here. I have a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro (Sonoma 14.3) with a bluetooth keyboard and Apple Trackpad.

When I connect a Bluetooth speaker (Anker Soundcore 3), the speaker stutters.

If I turn off either the keyboard or trackpad, the stuttering immediately stops.

If I turn the device back on, the stuttering returns within seconds of the device re-establishing the Bluetooth connection.

I could understand if this were a problem with five or more devices, but a setup with keyboard, mouse/trackpad, and speaker or headphones seems so basic as to be standard.

May 3, 2023 8:18 AM in response to mf_ent

I found a solution that might work for you. If your headphones are connected to two devices at the same time, e.g., iMac and iPhone, disconnecting and completely removing them from one device will significantly improve the audio quality. I was able to reduce the stuttering of my Bose QuietComfort 45 from once every 3 minutes to once every hour by using them exclusively with my iMac. I removed them from my iPhone's list of Bluetooth devices and also deleted the Bose app to prevent it from reconnecting.

Right now I have five Bluetooth devices connected to my iMac, including the Bose headphones, so, at least in my case, having multiple devices connected to the machine wasn't the culprit.

I also don't have interference issues because I only started experiencing severe stuttering after upgrading to macOS Ventura (13.3.1a) from Big Sur and the arrangement of the Wifi router, USB hubs, and all Bluetooth devices in my study remain the same throughout this stuttering ordeal.

For your information, I tried the following recommendations to no avail:

• Delete the Bluetooth preference, i.e., com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.
  • Factory reset the bluetooth settings using sudo pkill bluetoothd.
  • Remove and re-add the Bose headphones.
  • Disable AirPlay Receiver

I also experience stuttering with AirPods Pro, but I'm reluctant to use AirPods exclusively on one device. If you don't have any other Bluetooth ear/headphones and are tired of your AirPods stuttering, you might want to try the above suggestion too.

Let me know if this helps!

Mar 2, 2024 8:22 PM in response to mf_ent

Just updated from Monterey where I never had this issue, to Sonoma, and this is happening EVERY day, happens with Airpods Pro with No other bluetooth devices connected, happens with wired headphones no other bluetooth devices connected. I have powered off, restarted, checked for updates, and nothing is fixing this issue.

How to fix choppy audio on MacBook Pro with Bluetooth devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.