Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions for "everyone" conflict on each document

Hi - I have a folder full of documents that have "everyone" listed twice: one with "Custom" and the other with "Read only" permissions.

I think I really messed this up because I kept finding "Fetching" in the GetInfo boxes that never resolved to any user. So I deleted "Fetching" at the folder level and selected "Apply to enclosed items". That's when I noticed there were multiple "everyone" with conflicting permissions.

I can change the "Custom" to "Read Only" and then I'd have 2 "everyones" with RO.

To make matters worse - I can't delete the extra "everyone". The minus signs are greyed out.

Is there a solution to this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 8:02 PM

Where is this folder, it should be in your Home folder to work properly. The fetching was from migration & didn't exist in name & number on the new install.

See if you can do this if i your home folder...

Do a Get info on your Home folder, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Make sure it says you have Read & Write privileges & others are as you wish..

Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2023 8:02 PM in response to Josh2000

Where is this folder, it should be in your Home folder to work properly. The fetching was from migration & didn't exist in name & number on the new install.

See if you can do this if i your home folder...

Do a Get info on your Home folder, unlock the lock in the Get Info panel. Make sure it says you have Read & Write privileges & others are as you wish..

Using the tiny gear icon, use the drop down to "Apply to enclosed items...

Permissions for "everyone" conflict on each document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.