Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black arrow appeared on my iPad Pro homepage

This is the 2nd time it's happened. Out of the blue, an arrow appeared on my iPad Pro. It's not the location status and I'm not multitasking. The last time it happened, I had to restart the iPad to remove it.

What is it and why did it appear?

iPad Pro 12.9” 5th Gen 2021, iPadOS 16.2

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 8:51 PM

2 replies

Jan 9, 2023 12:15 PM in response to CXI

Hello CXI,

It appears to be an Accessibility feature that is enabled on your iPad Pro. We'd check in the following location to see if Speak Screen is enabled: Hear iPad speak the screen, selected text, and typing feedback

1. Go to the Settings app
  2. Tap on Accessibility
  3. Tap on Spoken Content

Is anything enabled here? If so, try disabling the features one at a time, to see if this arrow option disappears or not. In case it doesn't, do you use other Accessibility features on the iPad Pro? Do you use an external keyboard with the iPad Pro? The more we can understand about what's going on, the better we can assist.

Hoping to hear how it goes, take care.

Jan 28, 2023 10:28 AM in response to CXI

It’s very simple! (At least for my situation).

I have a ‘Apple magic keyboard’, and I (accidentally) discovered that when I press the control key with the keyboard attached, that pesky arrow appears. Just tap it again and it goes away! (might have to do so 2x).

Incidentally, it is similar with the shift key, option key and cmd key.

I went all over the board with this question, restarting the iPad and other stuff… I’m really surprised that the experts never picked up on this.

Black arrow appeared on my iPad Pro homepage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.