Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2G option is missing on "Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data" setting in iOS 16.2

If 3G or LTE option is selected on Mobile Data settings and iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi, my battery loses approximately 30% of capacity over a night. Draining of 3% or 4% of battery per hour in standby mode without any load is too much. iPhone is always connected to Wi-Fi and I have no issues with reception (3-4 of 4 cellular bars). This issue is still there in iOS 16.2.

As a workaround I used to select 2G option on "Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data" setting to keep my battery drain as it should be (1-2% per hour). But, unfortunately, right after update to iOS 16.2, 2G option is missing. Is it possible to somehow make it available again?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 11:51 AM

That's because an update to the carrier file was included in the update. Your carrier determines the availability of that option.

Almost without exception, 2G (EDGE) networks either have been or are being shut down around the globe. The same goes for 3G networks.

3 replies

2G option is missing on "Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data" setting in iOS 16.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.