Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Key chain popups MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

I have a MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 - cannot get rid of the keychain popups! Think it all started over a year ago when I logged into it after not using the laptop for months. Due to the age of the laptop is it worth me taking it to an expert to get it sorted, I only use it for searching the internet.

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 3:57 AM

At what point is it failing...

If you need to update your keychain password

By default, your keychain password is the same as your user password (the password you use to log in to the computer). If you change the user password in Users & Groups preferences, the keychain password is automatically changed to match it. If your user password is changed by an administrator, your keychain password may not be changed automatically, and you’re asked to enter the keychain password the next time you log in. You can update the keychain password to match your new user password. To unlock your keychain and change the password, you must know the current keychain password (which is usually the same as the previous user password).

Change your keychain password to match your user password

1. Click “login in” the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Password for Keychain “login.”
  3. If the keychain is locked, enter the previous user password for the computer, then click OK.
  4. If you entered the correct password, a new window appears.
  5. Enter the previous user password again in the Current Password field.
  6. Enter your new user password in the New Password field.
  7. Reenter the new user password in the Verify field, then click OK.

If you don’t remember your previous user password

If you don’t remember your previous user password, you need to reset your default keychain. Resetting the default keychain deletes all the passwords saved in the keychain, but should allow you to sync up.

1. Choose Keychain Access > Preferences.
  2. Click Reset My Default Keychain.
  3. In the Finder, choose Apple menu > Log Out. When you log in again, save your current password in a keychain.

If your user password was reset because you forgot your password, and you can’t provide the old password for the keychain, you won’t be able to access the information in the old keychain, and a new blank keychain is created.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 3:57 AM in response to span25iel

At what point is it failing...

If you need to update your keychain password

By default, your keychain password is the same as your user password (the password you use to log in to the computer). If you change the user password in Users & Groups preferences, the keychain password is automatically changed to match it. If your user password is changed by an administrator, your keychain password may not be changed automatically, and you’re asked to enter the keychain password the next time you log in. You can update the keychain password to match your new user password. To unlock your keychain and change the password, you must know the current keychain password (which is usually the same as the previous user password).

Change your keychain password to match your user password

1. Click “login in” the Keychains list.
  2. Choose Edit > Change Password for Keychain “login.”
  3. If the keychain is locked, enter the previous user password for the computer, then click OK.
  4. If you entered the correct password, a new window appears.
  5. Enter the previous user password again in the Current Password field.
  6. Enter your new user password in the New Password field.
  7. Reenter the new user password in the Verify field, then click OK.

If you don’t remember your previous user password

If you don’t remember your previous user password, you need to reset your default keychain. Resetting the default keychain deletes all the passwords saved in the keychain, but should allow you to sync up.

1. Choose Keychain Access > Preferences.
  2. Click Reset My Default Keychain.
  3. In the Finder, choose Apple menu > Log Out. When you log in again, save your current password in a keychain.

If your user password was reset because you forgot your password, and you can’t provide the old password for the keychain, you won’t be able to access the information in the old keychain, and a new blank keychain is created.

Jan 7, 2023 12:06 PM in response to span25iel

Apple won't work with 10.12.6 or Macs over 5 years old.

Accountsd asking you often…

Just open the "Keychain Access", click right on the "login" keychain in the sidebar, select "Change settings for Keychain "login"" and unselect both options "Lock after ..." and "Lock when sleeping". – Tom Kraina Sep 8 '16 at 10:55

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password

The password of your macOS user account might not match the password of your login keychain. Either create a new login keychain or update it with your new password.

If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609#:~:text=Either%20create%20a%20new%20login,password%20of%20your%20login%20keychain.

Jan 8, 2023 5:27 AM in response to BDAqua

At last, No more popups, those annoying key chain popups.

Thank you for your help, I have managed to solve the issue by using the last point 'If you don't remember your previous user password'.

Thank you again for your kind assistance, it has been very helpful.

Hopefully I will be able to use this laptop for a little longer, before it expires.

Have a good day.

Key chain popups MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.