Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burnt charger cable caused by working while charging?

Two chargers stopped working after a few months of use.

In both cases, the spring-loaded pins 2 and 4 are burnt out and no longer move. The corresponding sockets on the macbook plus are also charred. I got it to work one last time and the plug heated up to burn-your-fingers hot.

The problem goes away if I charge the computer only with the lid closed, then disconnect it during use. Not a major inconvenience. The 2015 battery still gives me a few hours of use. The plug remains cool while charging. I cleaned the sockets with alcohol and a toothpick.

Until now I have always left the charger cable connected all the time. Was that a bad idea from the start, or has something failed in my macbook that makes it bad user behavior now?

Will be checking in at the genius bar today.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 4:11 PM

jdimm wrote:

In both cases, the spring-loaded pins 2 and 4 are burnt out and no longer move. The corresponding sockets on the macbook plus are also charred. I got it to work one last time and the plug heated up to burn-your-fingers hot.

The problem goes away if I charge the computer only with the lid closed, then disconnect it during use. Not a major inconvenience. The 2015 battery still gives me a few hours of use. The plug remains cool while charging. I cleaned the sockets with alcohol and a toothpick.

Until now I have always left the charger cable connected all the time. Was that a bad idea from the start, or has something failed in my macbook that makes it bad user behavior now?

If the DC-in board is worn out, it can short out the magsafe new or old.

Report back your findings after your visit to the Apple Store.

Not an expensive repair to replace the DC-in board.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2023 4:11 PM in response to jdimm

jdimm wrote:

If the DC-in board is worn out, it can short out the magsafe new or old.

Report back your findings after your visit to the Apple Store.

Not an expensive repair to replace the DC-in board.

Jan 11, 2023 10:24 AM in response to jdimm

Thanks Leroy!

I had the best genius bar experience ever, in 30 minutes. Showing them this exchange was very helpful and saved time.

They took it in the back, removed the cover, and cleaned out a lot of dust especially around the heat sinks, and that seems to have fixed the problem! I guess the DC-in board is okay.

Problem Description/Diagnosis

Issue: Customers MagSafe connectors look discolored,not charging correctly

Steps to Reproduce: Verified during appointment

Cosmetic Condition: Minor surface scratches

Proposed Resolution: Ordering MagSafe replacement due to pins not correctly charging

Burnt charger cable caused by working while charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.