Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac preview overlapping highlighter issue

Somebody posted about this back in 2018. There were a lot of moving parts to try and fix the problem so I was wondering if there has been a better way to address the following issue shown below:

• If you make one continuous highlight then there is no issue with overlap as you move on to the next line
  • If you split up your highlighting, then that overlapping happens as you can see below
  • I've tried downloading the PDF again and ive tried downloading it directly from the publishing journal but nothing fixes it
  • However, there are other PDF that i download from the same journal and some from other journals that don't have this issue at all. Older journal articles from 10 years ago could work fine and certain articles from last month still have the problem, but i can't figure out what the difference is.
  • Also of note, i'll open up the same PDF in adobe and it works just fine. But preview feels so much smoother that i don't want to switch

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 11:08 AM

I tried to duplicate your problem and got this:

I see maybe a little overlap between the two yellow highlights but not between the blue and yellow.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2023 11:08 AM in response to Zyneycrosby

I tried to duplicate your problem and got this:

I see maybe a little overlap between the two yellow highlights but not between the blue and yellow.

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 10, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Old Toad

I tried the safe mode and same issue is still there

I see your example and yes, depending on what PDF i open it will show up like that. Other times it shows up completely separate. and other times it shows up the way i posted.

I looked at the "info" for the files:

• The one on the right has a slightly different resolution than the one on the left. the one on the right doesn't have the issue (shown below). It feels like there has to be an easy explanation as to why this is happening and i just can't figure it out

Mac preview overlapping highlighter issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.