Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri can’t hear me

When I hold the home button on iPhone 8 Siri is activated but won’t respond to my voice. It will respond to text requests. I have checked all 3 mics which are working fine. I can’t set up ‘Hey Siri’ either because ‘she’ can’t hear my voice

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 12:50 PM

5 replies

Jan 11, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Someoneplshelpme

Hello Someoneplshelpme,

A few things to check, as they may block the ability to use "Hey Siri":

1. Go to Settings > Accessibility
  2. Tap on Siri
  3. Do you have 'Always Listen for "Hey Siri" enabled here?

1. Go to Settings > Accessibility
  2. Tap on Sound Recognition, is it enabled?

Does this issue occur when the iPhone is connected to a power source, even if not normally required?

What happens if you disable Bluetooth in:

1. Go to the Settings app
  2. Tap on Bluetooth
  3. Disable Bluetooth

Then test it out. What happens when you attempt to set up "Hey Siri" now? Here's a quick link to set it up: Use Siri on all your Apple devices

Hoping to hear how it goes, take care.

Jan 10, 2023 3:01 PM in response to Someoneplshelpme

Hello Someoneplshelpme, 

Thank you for posting these questions to the Apple Support Communities. 

It seems like there may be an issue with the microphone hardware inside your iPhone. To confirm, are you able to use the microphone with any other apps? You can test making a phone call or Voice Memo to find out. 

The following Apple Support article can also help with troubleshooting this issue: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working

If the microphone is not working with any of your apps, service may be needed. Please contact Apple Support directly for more help. 

Cheers! 

Siri can’t hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.