You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a Database on Mac Pro

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but... I don't know where to put it.

I have been searching and searching but I can't seem to find a simple answer... It almost seems like the answer is 'no'.

Is there a program I can use to make a simple, queryable database using a MacBook?

I don't want to use windows on my Mac, I prefer to not use Excel, and I understand that Mac cannot use Access.

I am a beginner, but I know what tables I need, and what queries I want to do. I will make the database while learning.

Is there any reliable program out there? (iDatabase is not an option. Too limited)

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 4:50 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 8, 2023 5:36 PM in response to SixCoins

There are various databases available, including the built-in SQLite (sqlite3), and add-ons including PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Base, and Claris FileMaker Pro. There are various other good choices, too.

SQLite is very flexible, and quote capable. See the above-referenced DB Browser as a front-end for this.

MariaDB parallels the Oracle MySQL database package. Sequel Pro can be a handy front-end for those.

FileMaker Pro is probably the closest to what you are seeking, and a very good and flexible database:

https://www.claris.com/filemaker/pro/

Analogous to the Microsoft Office package, the LibreOffice package includes the Base database:

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

PostgreSQL is seriously capable, as well.

Other options can be the MAMP and XAMPP packages, which include a database, php, and a web server as an installable unit.

Most (all?) of the above are SQL databases. FileMaker Pro also has ODBC and JDBC access, as do some others.

I’ve used most of these, as well as Claris Bento (R.I.P.), and some other choices.

Creating a Database on Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.