Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if during the reset it says that the device is not connected to the internet?

I tried to reset my iPad but when it shows up on my computer is comes up as an IPhone and it won’t let me reset it because it says it’s not connected to the internet … how do I fix this?

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 4:28 AM

Start with basic WiFi troubleshooting - as detailed here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device/computer does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP - or something is blocking access to some internet resources. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you are using a VPN connection, or a security App such as Norton etc., these may be (a) interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address, or (b) blocking access to some external resources. For this, the resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 4:28 AM in response to Missclaudiasue

Start with basic WiFi troubleshooting - as detailed here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your WiFi has been set-up according to Apple’s recommended settings, WiFi and Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device/computer does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP - or something is blocking access to some internet resources. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you are using a VPN connection, or a security App such as Norton etc., these may be (a) interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address, or (b) blocking access to some external resources. For this, the resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

Jan 8, 2023 8:40 PM in response to Missclaudiasue

Missclaudiasue Said:

"What if during the reset it says that the device is not connected to the internet?: I tried to reset my iPad but when it shows up on my computer is comes up as an IPhone and it won’t let me reset it because it says it’s not connected to the internet … how do I fix this?"

-------

Troubleshooting an iPad Reset:

A. Boot in to Safe Mode:

Try booting in to Safe Mode [Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot]. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

B. Try a New Administrator User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user? Do you stop getting this error? If so, then it is something configured in you current user. Delete this administrator, when all if complete.

What if during the reset it says that the device is not connected to the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.