Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I add an external SSD to my imac 2019 27" 5K?

I have a 2019 27" 5K imac

3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-9600K) CPU: 6-core

40 GB RAM

I ran EtreCheck (free version), no major problems found (see report clip below),

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to an external SSD? I'm thinking of getting a 2 TB SSD Crucial X8 ($170 CDN newegg.ca) and using it both as a bootup drive/run program/extra storage, and keep my 2TB internal fusion drive as a backup drive only. The $170 is really not a big issue as I can write it off as a business expense.

I don't use any icloud backup. I use a few USB external 5-7 TB HDs as my Time Machine backups (I put them in my safe when I travel, and keep one at the office as my offsite backup).

I'd rather not have to crack open the imac to upgrade anything internally.

Would using the external SSD as both a bootup drive and to run programs/extra storage slow down the transfer speeds? Will I notice much of a performance boost with an external SSD in my system?

I generally do very light photo editing (Luminar 4/AI or GIMP), use Handbrake occasionally to convert a video, and rarely do video edits. The slowest programs seems to be Libreoffice and Mail (as I use gmail accounts).

Thx

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 8:52 AM

Your drive is healthy. While an external Crucial X8 will drop your read speeds to ~950MB/s, your write speeds will also be ~950MB/s, up from ~220MB/s. You could also use a Thunderbolt SSD, which will produce read/write speeds at ~2800MB/s. However, Thunderbolt SSDs do cost more.

You can certainly try an external Crucial X8 SSD, and it may help your system. If not, it's great external storage! :-)

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 8:52 AM in response to Rayiorek

Your drive is healthy. While an external Crucial X8 will drop your read speeds to ~950MB/s, your write speeds will also be ~950MB/s, up from ~220MB/s. You could also use a Thunderbolt SSD, which will produce read/write speeds at ~2800MB/s. However, Thunderbolt SSDs do cost more.

You can certainly try an external Crucial X8 SSD, and it may help your system. If not, it's great external storage! :-)

Jack

Jan 9, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Rayiorek

Performance:
System Load: 1.75 (1 min ago) 1.37 (5 min ago) 1.36 (15 min ago)
Nominal I/O usage: 0.17 MB/s
File system: 15.12 seconds
Write speed: 222 MB/s ⚠️
Read speed: 2414 MB/s

Your write metric is fairly low for a healthy Fusion Drive. In order to verify the health, I'd recommend you use DriveDx. Then, please upload a screenshot of both (2) reports here.

Jack

Should I add an external SSD to my imac 2019 27" 5K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.