Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HEIC

I happen to like the HEIC format for my images, and I am wondering why when I export an HEIC image from Photos it's converted to JPEG. I want to keep it HEIC.

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 3:12 AM

You can export the image as HEIC, if you use the export command "File > Export > Export unmodified Original".

Then the original will not be converted when exporting it.

If you have adjustments applied to a photo and want to export the adjusted version, you can only export it with "File > Export > Export ... photos", and Photos will render a new, adjusted version. You can select either JPEG, TIFF, or PNG, but not HEIC.

I also want to keep my photos in the HEIC format, so I export the edited versions as TIFF files (because this is a lossless format), and then use the Preview.app to convert the TIFFs to HEIC images for a better compression to save some storage.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2023 3:12 AM in response to david lee from cincy

You can export the image as HEIC, if you use the export command "File > Export > Export unmodified Original".

Then the original will not be converted when exporting it.

If you have adjustments applied to a photo and want to export the adjusted version, you can only export it with "File > Export > Export ... photos", and Photos will render a new, adjusted version. You can select either JPEG, TIFF, or PNG, but not HEIC.

I also want to keep my photos in the HEIC format, so I export the edited versions as TIFF files (because this is a lossless format), and then use the Preview.app to convert the TIFFs to HEIC images for a better compression to save some storage.

HEIC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.