Photos saving as HEIC even when “most compatible “ is selected in Fornat.

I have selected Most Compatible as the Format. However, my photos are still saving as HEIC instead of JPEG.

1080p,

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 12:07 PM

6 replies

Sep 6, 2023 1:39 PM in response to Terriporter

Hi Terriporter,

If you haven't, please check for a software update and make sure that you are running the latest version of iOS.

While it isn't inherently assured that an update will resolve the issue, updating to the latest software version for your device can help isolate potential software issues. 

Kindly secure a backup and update.

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If your device is already on the latest supported iOS version, please reach out to us using the support link below so we can take a closer look into the issue.

Get Support

Take care!

Sep 6, 2023 10:39 AM in response to Terriporter

Hi there Terriporter,

Do you have High Efficiency selected in Settings > Camera Formats? We ask because this could affect the format of photos on your iPhone:

All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

Learn more here: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

If this behavior persists, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly for further assistance. They're best-equipped to take a closer look at the issue and provide some additional guidance. This link will help you get started: Apple Support

Take care.

Nov 13, 2023 9:44 AM in response to kamote0628

Mine is also set to "most compatible" (for those who are confused by this, there are two options: "high efficiency" and "most compatible," and as the original poster pointed out in the title, they have "most compatible" selected), yet the images are still coming out in heic format. (Apple, this is a terrible idea. Remember Firewire? Remember Claris Works? Remember when the EU had to pass a LAW to get you to make compatible chargers?)

Photos saving as HEIC even when “most compatible “ is selected in Fornat.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.