Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Heic?

Why are my photos being saved as Heic? I need them to be jpeg to do anything with them, ie export and make photo books. Please help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 11:40 AM

HEIC is a newer standard for digital images than JPG. Its images have higher resolution than JPG and are smaller than the equivalent JPG image. Most photo editing software that has been updated in the past couple of years supports HEIC now. When you export images from an iPhone it will convert them to JPG if the destination does not support HEIC. But if you want all images taken with the phone to be JPG go to Settings/Camera/Formats and change the setting to Most Compatible.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 11:40 AM in response to Lghodsian

HEIC is a newer standard for digital images than JPG. Its images have higher resolution than JPG and are smaller than the equivalent JPG image. Most photo editing software that has been updated in the past couple of years supports HEIC now. When you export images from an iPhone it will convert them to JPG if the destination does not support HEIC. But if you want all images taken with the phone to be JPG go to Settings/Camera/Formats and change the setting to Most Compatible.

Aug 11, 2021 9:00 AM in response to Lghodsian

If you have pictures that are already existing and want to convert them from .heic or .heif to JPEG:

I can explain what I did with pictures from my iPhone which were also in the "photos" app on my Mac. I selected the pictures I wanted to convert, and then used the function "File -> Export". Now a window appears where you can choose the format in which you want to export the pictures, so I took JPEG and exported them to the hard disk on my Mac. That's all.

Heic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.