Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

always downloads as HEIC. What can I do to have them download as JPEG?

When I download photos from icloud, the photos are .HEIC. Is there a way to download as jpeg?

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2020 6:35 PM

If these files are from your iOS device, then you can change the settings on the iOS device under Camera settings. There are actually two settings you can change.

On the iOS device open the Settings app and click on the Camera settings. Under the "Formats" setting select "Most Compatible" so the pictures are saved as JPEG/H.264 formats.

The second setting is the format the picture file will have when you pull the picture off the phone using macOS or Windows. Under the "HDR" settings at the very bottom of the Camera settings screen there is an option for "Keep Normal Photo".

Since you are downloading the photos from iCloud the first setting I mentioned should be the one you need to change so any future photos you take will be in the JPEG/H.264 format. These iOS settings won't affect any pictures you've already taken.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2020 6:35 PM in response to BMST

If these files are from your iOS device, then you can change the settings on the iOS device under Camera settings. There are actually two settings you can change.

On the iOS device open the Settings app and click on the Camera settings. Under the "Formats" setting select "Most Compatible" so the pictures are saved as JPEG/H.264 formats.

The second setting is the format the picture file will have when you pull the picture off the phone using macOS or Windows. Under the "HDR" settings at the very bottom of the Camera settings screen there is an option for "Keep Normal Photo".

Since you are downloading the photos from iCloud the first setting I mentioned should be the one you need to change so any future photos you take will be in the JPEG/H.264 format. These iOS settings won't affect any pictures you've already taken.

always downloads as HEIC. What can I do to have them download as JPEG?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.