You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my photos downloading as HEIC files instead of JPEG from iCloud?

My photos are automatically uploaded to iCloud from my phone. When I download from iCloud they are HEIC files instead of JPEG as they used to be. This is not convenient to then use the photo in other ways. Why did this change and how can it be changed back to download as JPEG?

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 7:43 AM

I have the same problem. But when I click on the Advanced button the High-Efficiency option is checked and greyed out so I can't unselect it.

2 replies

Oct 26, 2023 11:36 AM in response to Ging1824

Hi Ging1824,

We appreciate you reaching out to us.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you.

Which device are we working with? Is it a Windows computer?

If yes, do you get a different option to download the photos?

As mentioned in the article below, "In iCloud for Windows version 14.2 or later, you can choose to download photos and videos in High-Efficiency format and videos in HDR format. Click the Advanced button, then make your selection."

Set up Photos in iCloud for Windows - Apple Support

If you need further assistance, please reach out to us using the support link below so we can take a closer look into the issue.

Get Support

Take care!

Why are my photos downloading as HEIC files instead of JPEG from iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.