Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone hotspot “unencrypted connection”

I was using my iPhone for a hotspot, but I looked at the connection and in my computer it says that it’s “unencrypted connection” so how do I encrypt it or fix it? Please, some explain this to me. I’ve never anything like this before I want to protect myself.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 10:41 AM

Hey Just-a-guy37,

That's a great question! Your Hotspot should be set up with a password to keep it secure. Here's how to check and/or change the password: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Set or change your Wi-Fi password

You need to set a Wi-Fi password in order to set up a Personal Hotspot. To change the Wi-Fi password, go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot or Settings > Personal Hotspot, then tap the Wi-Fi password.*

Choose a Wi-Fi password that's at least eight characters long and use ASCII characters. If you use non-ASCII characters, other devices will be unable to join your Personal Hotspot. Non-ASCII characters include characters in Japanese, Russian, Chinese, and other languages. ASCII characters include:

• All the letters in English, both lowercase and uppercase
• The digits 0 through 9
•Some punctuation marks

* When you change your password, any connected devices will be disconnected.

We also encourage you to reach out to your carrier as the Hotspot feature is provided by them. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Just-a-guy37

Hey Just-a-guy37,

That's a great question! Your Hotspot should be set up with a password to keep it secure. Here's how to check and/or change the password: How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Set or change your Wi-Fi password

You need to set a Wi-Fi password in order to set up a Personal Hotspot. To change the Wi-Fi password, go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot or Settings > Personal Hotspot, then tap the Wi-Fi password.*

Choose a Wi-Fi password that's at least eight characters long and use ASCII characters. If you use non-ASCII characters, other devices will be unable to join your Personal Hotspot. Non-ASCII characters include characters in Japanese, Russian, Chinese, and other languages. ASCII characters include:

• All the letters in English, both lowercase and uppercase
• The digits 0 through 9
•Some punctuation marks

* When you change your password, any connected devices will be disconnected.

We also encourage you to reach out to your carrier as the Hotspot feature is provided by them. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

iPhone hotspot “unencrypted connection”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.